Ashland, Oregon is well-known for its theater. The Oregon Shakespeare Festival is one of the most popular events of the year, and people come from all over to see the performances. But if you’re looking for performances a little more upbeat and modern than Shakespeare, see a show at the Oregon Cabaret Theater.
What is the Oregon Cabaret Theater?
The Oregon Cabaret Theater held its first performance in 1986. Formerly the First Baptist Church, the current OCT is a historic Ashland building. Before the theater’s opening, the building was refurbished and restored to its former grandeur. Now, the theater hosts over 270 performances yearly and has established itself as a popular Ashland attraction for both locals and visitors.
What shows are there?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BthNi8TASZ2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link Each year, the OCT performs 5 shows from early February through December 31st. This year’s performances are:
- January 31 – March 31
- The ultimate celebration of 1960’s female empowerment. Featuring songs from several groundbreaking female artists, Beehive recalls the days of miniskirts, transistor radios, and flower power.
- Sherlock Holmes and the Sign of the Four
- April 11 – May 26
- Holmes and Watson try to solve the mystery of the ‘Sign of the Four’ being left at multiple murder scenes. Join the detective duo for a thrilling adventure that will take you all over the world: from a prison in India to 221B in London, to a boat chase on the River Thames!
- Mamma Mia!
- June 6 – August 18
- The smash hit musical comes to OCT! Follow a daughter’s quest to discover the identity of her father on the eve of her wedding. Featuring the iconic music by ABBA.
- Sweeney Todd
- August 29 – November 10
- Stephen Sondheim’s gothic masterpiece tells the story of Sweeney Todd. Follow the journey of the former barber who returns to 19th century London to take revenge on the judge who framed him.
- Miracle on 34th Street
- November 21 – December 31
- This classical musical will bring everyone holiday cheer. When a department store Santa’s claim to be the real deal turns into a Supreme Court case, a girl’s belief makes all the difference in this miraculous show.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtZ1vMEgJuI/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link The concept of “dinner and a show” has been around for ages. Indulge in this tradition when you see a performance at the Oregon Cabaret Theater. The theater’s delicious dinner menu adds another dimension to your night out. And if you see a matinee performance, you don’t have to miss out! OCT serves brunch as well, so whichever show you see, you can enjoy an accompanying meal!
You can purchase tickets to the OCT online through their website. Select performances have already sold out, so if you’re considering going to the theater, check to make sure the date you want is still available. Tickets range from $25 – $39 based on seating.
Will you be attending any Oregon Cabaret Theater performances this year?
We’d love to know!
Stay at The Bard’s Inn when you visit Ashland and be close to all the theater options in the area. After the show, return to the inn and enjoy our luxurious amenities.